Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:49:21 +0100
From:      Kurt Dethier <kurt-list-freebsd@androme.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: VoIP behind NAT and FreeBSD

Marwan Sultan wrote:
> First thanks for you all, for the cooperating,
>
>  My setup is as follow,
>
>  Router <-> vr0 FreeBSD fxp0 <-> Switch <-> Clients
>  Two NICs attached,
>   vr0 connected to the router (internet interface) has the static
> 192.168.0.2
>   fxp0 connected to the Switch connected to clients acting as DHCP
> 192.168.182.1
>   and clients are assigned 192.168.182.* ofcourse..
>
>   kernel as you know configured for ipfw and NAT
>   chillispot installed, and controlling the fxp0 device thro the DHCP
>   assigning for clients the IPs. however chillispot is not an issue.
>
>   This is the configuration,
>   I think chillispot using pf rules. once a user will sign in, all
> blocks will be remmoved.
>   just for the info,

Hi Marwan,
I have never used ipfw before, so I suggest to do a quick check what the
NAT type is. Last time I checked, there was a simple client in the
vovidia stun implementation. They also run a public server for testing.

If your NAT type is not symmetric NAT, you can use STUN (you will need
2 ip addresses on the internet side of your gateway for STUN to work).

If your NAT type is symmetric NAT, I suggest to look at UPNP. Most
clients support it.
If UPNP is not an options, I guess proxying the media streams, or
rewriting the signaling is your only options left.

Kurt