Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 18:45:08 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home network question

Brian N. Handy stands accused of saying:

> I've got a question.  At home, I want to have a PC running FreeBSD that's
> connected to the net over a PPP link.
>
> Simultaneously...the same household will have a Mac and a printer.  I
> would like to be able to use the printer on both machines.  It would be
> nice to be able to trade files between both machines.  So.....
>
>  (a)  Should I network the Mac to the FBSD box?  How?  Parallel port?
>       Could I then run CAP on the BSD box and have the printer on it,
>       visible to the Mac?

If you have ethernet for the Mac, then you can do the CAP thing.  If not,
then you can run SLIP or PPP and use FTP etc. (no NFS for MacOS unless
you're particularly wealthy).  Either will let you print (there are LPR-
-style printer drivers for MacOS).

>  (b)  Should I just get a switch for the printer and bag the network
>       idea entirely?  Swapping files would be nice but not life
>       threatening.

This is the easy way to do it 8)