Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 17:25:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Diehl <joed@engg.ksu.edu>
To:        trangmar@gnsnet.com (Robert Trangmar)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ft (Qic 40/80)

As Robert Trangmar wrote:

> Does anyone know why this this wasn't written as a *complete* tape driver?
> It would be really useful for me to have this as a device i could use
> dump and tar on and i am considering looking further into it with a view
> to enhancing it to do just that.
> Just thought i'd cast around to see if anyone had any input before i
> expended/wasted valuable time.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> RobT

In about two weeks (end of the semester), I will be starting a complete
rewrite of the ft driver in order to accomplish the following tasks:

	o Make the ft driver one driver fully compatible with the SCSI
	  tape driver (unless absolutely impossible), and therefore
	  other programs, such as mt.

	o Update support to add Wide, and Travan tapes...  Essentially
	  bringing the driver up to date with the current revisions of
	  QIC-40 / QIC-80 / QIC-3010 / QIC-3020.

	o Complete new structure

Please note that the initial release of the driver will require
compliance with QIC-117 Rev. C or higher.  It is unknown which drives
will be effected by this; however, I know that some Colorado Jumbo 250
tapes will not work, initially.  I hope to allow the driver to work
with all drivers (QIC-117 Rev. A or higher) before any major release of
the driver.

Also note that my only FreeBSD machine is a production box, so I am
currently running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE...  Perhaps the driver will
simply snap into place in -current, or maybe it will require
some updating.  Just be aware of this matter.

I am also looking for potential testers for pre-release versions
of the driver.  Again, I am running 2.1R, so it may be beneficial
to be running the same version of the o/s (although it would be
interesting to see how well the driver works under -stable or -current.
If you are interested, please send or name, e-mail address, version
of FreeBSD, and type of tape drive to joed@freebsd.org.

BTW-  I will probably be losing my current Internet access, so the
bellow listed address may become invalid without notice.  Please
use my address on Freefall for any mail (joed@freebsd.org).  At
the very least, I will be able to open a telnet session to freefall
to check e-mail.

---
Joe Diehl <joed@engg.ksu.edu>
Engineering Computing Center