Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:28:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        peter@wemm.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in -CURRENT [was Re: Plea to committers to only commit to HEAD if you run -current {from developers@FreeBSD.org}]

On 22 Aug, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Will Andrews wrote:

>> Currently I'm doing another test build with DISABLE_PSE and
>> DISABLE_PG_G in the kernel to see how that handles.  As of yet,
>> there have been exactly *ZERO* SIG4/SIG11's this build.  That
>> has never happened since KSE MIII, and I've done at least ten or
>> fifteen full builds since then.  :-)
>
> Is this on a uniprocessor system?

My UP Athlon box went from two distinct failures in a loop of ten
buildworld runs to zero failures in ten runs when I added these options.
The failures generally manifested themselves as random corruption in the
cached copy of the source tree which disappeared when the system was
rebooted.

Adding these options increased the buildworld time from 55 to 57 minutes
per interation while in competition with setiathome.

I hadn't attempted it before, but the system didn't have any problems
with "make -j20 buildworld" when the kernel was compiled with these
options.