Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:35:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Anders Chr. Skoe" <skoe@owlnet.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Anyone resolved "Missing operating system" issue?

Howdy, folks!

unfortunately, this email follows a pretty good history of posts regarding
the "Missing operating system" error.  we install 3.2 with no problems on
our western digital WDE4360-1807A3, but it just won't boot.  our bios is
the adaptec AHA 2940 Ultra/Ultra W BIOS v1.23.

a) if we only create a freebsd partition, and try to boot it, we get the
infamous "Missing operating system" error.

b) if we create both dos & freebsd partitions, we get to the boot manager,
but selecting freebsd doesn't work.  we've tried putting the freebsd
partition first as well as the dos partition first, but it makes no
difference.  we've also tried various combinations of partition sizes.

c) setting the drive geometry to 4095/64/32 doesn't help (someone
suggested this in an earlier mail).

d) using FDISK we've set the active partition to the freebsd
partition.  it doesn't help.

e) we can boot from the floppy & cdrom drives.

we would really appreciate some useful feedback 'cause it's drivin' us
crazy.

a & j