Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 19:14:37 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of the same character device

>The question is very simple. Is it possible to open the same character
>pseudo device, for example /dev/foo0, simultaneously from other programs, and
>to work with this instances independently?
>
>I'm asked as the developer of a driver with such requirements, so please don't
>complain about such technique.
>
>I read some discursion about this in the mailing list
>http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=854845+857264+/usr/local/www/db/text/1997/freebsd-hackers/19970727.freebsd-hackers .
>
>But it's old one (dated by begin of '97).

   The simple answer is yes. The only issue has to do with closing the device.
If you don't care about the device driver close routine being called except
on the last close, then everything should work just fine.
   I assume this question is related to you work on VMware for FreeBSD?

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.