Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:09:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java questions

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:
> > > I have several questions related to installing/using java support on
> > > FreeBSD.  Keep in mind that I do not program Java, I just want to support
> > > my users on the system who want to use java on our web server.  We're
> > > running 2.2-release.
> >
> > If that's all you want to do then you do not need to install kaffe
> > or the jdk.  Your users just need to copy their class files into
> > their web directories.
> >
> > kaffe is a virtual machine for running java applications, the jdk
> > is obviously a development kit for producing those (and applets)
> > but your users are more likely to be using another platform for this.
>
> Right.  I understand that java applets for the browsers are served like
> any other file.  I mean clients who want to *run* java programs *on* the
> server.  For example, a cgi script written in java.  You need a java
> compiler on the server for that, right?

No . . . java can be compiled to bytecode anywhere, all you need to run it
is a JVM (java virtual machine) of some sort.  (Interestingly, it doesn't
even have to start out as java -- theoretically, any language can be
compiled with the JVM as a target.  This has already been implemented for
some languages.)

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."