Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:51:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        rcarter@pinyon.org (Russell L. Carter)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIC SD-11 not happy with ata

It seems Russell L. Carter wrote:

> Hi Soren,
>
> I am beginning to believe that the FIC mb is the problem.  My
> IBM-DPTA-372050 is only half as fast (500MB bonnie)
> as on the P2B (~10MB/s vs. ~19MB/s).  A Jan 11 kernel
> doesn't downgrade to PIO on the
> IBM-DTTA-371440 as fast as this evenings -current with your
> latest bits does, but eventually it gets there.

Hmm, that endeed sound strange, the ICRC errors do point at
HW trouble, you dont have the cables running near anything
that generates a magnetic field or anything (like near the
coils to the voltage regs etc), that is known to make
trouble...

> )(*&$#%$#  stupid magazine benchmarkers never actually test
> things like IO...  grrrrr....

I wouldn't belive those mags, most of what they write are
just rubbish, and often tainted by who bought most advertizing
space that month :)

-Søren