Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:54:34 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com (Brian J. McGovern)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The continuting email...

(I'm splitting the thread here.  This half really needs to die, the other
half should survive)

Brian J. McGovern stands accused of saying:

> where not only will I have efficiency, but I'll have
> success. Perhaps it is being "trained management", but you'll notice
> that the number of learned people working with FreeBSD that could
> develop a userful driver is nearly nil compared to the number of
> people running FreeBSD. Why is that? They all put their resources
> where it will gain them the most. Many people, like myself, have
> limited time, and a lot to do.

I beg to differ on your demographic, but I take your point.

> Also, in lieu of another comment earlier that I wanted to drop over
> the sake of arguement (but it applies here, so I'll bring it back
> up), I did once (about 2 weeks ago) post about getting my ficticious
> 'foo' driver installed in the kernel to the hackers list.

MHA; I honestly do not recall this, sorry. 8(

> available to assist the development goals.  However, I see it taking
> an initial capital of properly trained people to provide static
> documentation for this purpose.

Ok; so I prod you to start doing, which will result in you asking
questions, and causing people on this list to start producing the
information that you require.  Hopefully the net result is worthwhile.

> bring completion to the things I start. I despise not finishing things on
> schedule (management again?)

Yes, but Ray Dolby would sympathise 8) (And I envy you; I'm a chronic
non-finisher in my personal projects, as I always take on too much at
once 8( )

> I appreciate the help to date. Again, my goal is not to argue, but to
> assist. Can't assist without knowledge, can't gain knowledge without
> documentation (I despise cultural learning. Too much pure data
> gets damaged in the retelling...)

Understood, and I appreciate your points.  Let's drive.