Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:13:52 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Sahil Tandon <sahil@hamla.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Maxim Maximov <mcsi@mcsi.pp.ru>
Subject:   Re: portsdb -Uu results in coredump

At 10:49 PM -0400 9/6/04, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>kstewart wrote:
>
>There is a bug in ruby that shows up as a bus error. Follow the
>topic on -ports@. There are several ways to alter the INDEX[-5]
>so that it occurs less frequently.
>
>Occurs less frequently?  That's not what I'm looking for.  Is there
>a *fix* for the root cause?

Oddly enough, there are a lot of other people who would also prefer
a more complete fix.  If we had a fix, we would install it and you
wouldn't have to work around the problem.  There are developers who
are looking into the problem.  I think the problem is really in bdb
(which ruby is calling for database-work), and not in ruby itself.