Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:51:22 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   help! tex/latex ports problem

When it comes to tex/latex I'm afraid it comes to one
of FreeBSD's weak points. That's where Linux distributions
(especially german ~) really shine.

I had a horror afternoon today trying to get a tex/latex
installation fixed after the /usr/local backup to
a NFS mounted Ultrix volume overflowed and the volume
got trashed at the ultrix side with the same symptom
(fsck -b <this_time_I_saved_all_numbers> failed
always with superblock bad). Consequence: My backup
was gone, pkg_add had failed and had deleted parts
of my tex installation.

Trying to build via mount /usr/ports and /usr/ports/distfiles
from blues to mozart resulted always in failures
when tex/mf  wanted to find plain.mf - it prompted,
you know that ugly prompt when tex asks for different filename.

latex build always ended with an Error 2 , cannot find Makefile.

tex built until this plain.mf point where I bailed out
and did not know whether the installation was successfull.
tex now always tells me it cannot find default format file.

Any tex experts out there who can help me?

Thanks.