Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:09:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        atomicjello@cyberjunkie.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Here is the XF86Config file

On Sun, 29 March 1998 at  4:21:44 -0800, Jason Lin wrote:
> I am attaching the XF86Config file that I commented out all the
> "Virtual" words.  The file is located at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
> directory.  One of the email you replied to me said that if I
> comment out all the "Virtual" words then X-Window would not start up
> with virtual screens, but I did exactly what you told me, and with
> no success.
>
> There are several problems with XFree86:
>
> 1) When I tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-Minus (keypad) and Ctrl-Alt-Plus
> (keypad), my monitor immediately gave me this error: "OUT OF SCAN
> RANGE". I am assuming that XFree86 is trying to set horizontal and
> vertical rates beyond my monitor's specifications.

Correct.  Of course, it bases this assumption on what you told it.
According to the information in the XF86Config file, you're running an
Elsa Winner 1000PRO with S3 SDAC, and your monitor can handle up to 80
kHz horizontal frequency.  Is this correct?  Your monitor is saying
"no".

> 2. Is there anyway to specify the resolution in the XF86Config file? I
> don't want any modes other than 1024 x 768 with 64K colors. Can you
> please add that to my XF86Config if you can?

That's a question of removal, not addition.  You currently have:

         Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"

Change that to:

         Modes       "1024x768"

This will also solve your virtual screen problem.  The server uses two
parameters to determine the size of the screen: the Virtual keyword
and the largest of the Modes (in this case, 1280x1024).  That's why
commenting out the Virtual keywords didn't work.

Unfortunately, there's a very good chance that this won't work for
you, because your configuration file doens't describe your monitor
correctly.  You *must* find out the horizontal frequency range of your
monitor.  If you can find the vertical frequency range as well, that
would be good, but in practice it's not nearly as important.  And do
your really have an Elsa Winner 1000?  It looks as if you are in the
USA, and I didn't know that Elsa sold their boards there.  I'd suggest
that you re-run xf86config and specify the correct information, as
well as the screen resolutions you want, and it should work fine.

Greg