Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 23:40:54 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> I'll donate $250 or more, but only for a vote on what work gets
> funded.

Then save your money.

That may sound harsh, but consider the facts: What good is a "vote"
going to do you if your vote is for something that can't be purchased
for $250?  You could say, for example, that you want your $250 to go
towards SMP development but, until I have enough pennies saved to buy
a block of Steve Passe's consulting hours, such a vote doesn't tell me
anything more than I already know and that $250 is going to sit in the
bank for a long time (perhaps forever) before I have enough there to
seriously approach Steve with an offer.

If you're looking to directly influence the usage of the monies
donated then that are far more practical ways of going about it, like
simply spending $250 on some card or other peripheral you want
supported and then sending it to us.  It's still no guarantee that
we'll find the people to do the work involved, but you've certainly
constrained the usage of your $250 significantly by turning it into
hardware first and I've no objection at all to people voting thusly
with their wallets.

If you're also looking to influence my choices of what FreeBSD, Inc.
does with its money then I'm also always happy to take suggestions
from _anyone_, regardless of whether they've contributed or not, since
a good suggestion is a good suggestion regardless of its source.  If
you're looking to attach strings to the ways in which I can spend
fractions of dollars, however, then that's an accounting headache
which I simply don't need and I'd rather you used the money to
purchase a nice birthday gift for your wife, or something.

					Jordan