Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:09:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        George.Scott@cc.monash.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libg++ Makefile and /usr/include

Perhaps this should be changed as noted below...

> George Scott wrote:
> > This is probably a silly question, but...
> >
> > In gnu/lib/libg++/Makefile there is a bit of code that looks like:
> >
> > > CFLAGS+=	-nostdinc -I${.CURDIR}/include -I/usr/include
                                                 ^${DESTDIR}
> > > CXXFLAGS+=	-I${.CURDIR}/include -I/usr/include/g++ -I/usr/include \
                                                                  ^${DESTDIR}
> > > 		-nostdinc++
> >
> > Why is /usr/include mentioned explicitly?
>
> Because of the "-nostdinc", which means "No standard include directories".
> I'm not quite sure why it is done that way round, though...

As it currently it would always pickup files from /usr/include, and if we
ever want to stop touching the installed system when building these are
the types of changes that will be hard to track down.

A good first step in this direction is to rm -r /usr/include, then try
to get ``make world DESTDIR=/some/place'' to work without anything
ending up in /usr/include, but instead in ${DESTDIR}/usr/include.

Right now if you try to do that things fall over very quickly.