Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:44:41 -0700
From:      arch@hub.freebsd.org
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   (FWD) Re: nvi maintainer?

----- Forwarded message from Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> -----
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 16:18:48 -0700

> The bottom line for Sleepycat is we're happy to have any open source
> project use our software in any way they find useful.  Or, to put it
> more simply, if we get to use your stuff, you get to use our stuff.
> We're pretty much willing to sign on for any arrangement that follows
> that rule.
>
> > It would be really nice if we could replace the libc DB routines
> > with newer ones since you've indicated that the DBv1 stuff is
> > somehow flawed, but I don't know that this license exclusion
> > would work for libc.
>
> As I said, this comes up every 4-6 months, I make the same offer,
> it gets discussed, and it dies for another few months. :-)

The sticking point with this is that FreeBSD is not just a "free OS";
it's commonly reused in non-free contexts, and it's an important concern
to us that this should continue to be possible.

We just can't do that with the Sleepycat license; you're trying to make a
living off your code, and we're trying to give ours away.  Both goals are
worthwhile, but not necessarily compatible.

Regards,
Mike

----- End forwarded message -----