Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:56:23 +0200
From:      Sebastian Lederer <lederer@bonn-online.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS locking/rpc.lockd

Hi ,
first of all, the current status of the rpc.lockd is that it does not
really work at all. It can process some (nonblocking) locking requests,
but only in a very preliminary manner. However, the basic steps are
present
(translating the nfs file handle and then setting/clearing the lock).
Also, when there will be working version, it won't support NFS v3 or
Kerberos authentication. These may be supported later.

Some problems which need to be solved:

* implementation of the F_RSETLK/F_RGETLK fcntl functions
    - not difficult, already done by Terry Lambert
* blocking locks
    - F_SETLKW cannot be used, since the rpc.lockd must continue
servicing
        rpc requests. It cannot fork, because it must own the
        fds itself. Busy wait/polling?
* managing the lock state
    - the rpc.lockd must track all active locks so that it can undo a
locking
        operation in some extreme cases, to know when it can safely
close a
        file descriptor, and to cope with retransmitted locking
requests.
        Also not difficult, but probably a lot of design issues hidden
here.

Your comments are welcome. I would like to have a (generally accepted)
overall design set up before I really start to write code, so let me
hear
what you think.

BTW, if anybody wants to test the current rpc.lockd version
(especially with other Unixes than Solaris 2.5), I'll provide patches
and some small testing programs.

Best regards,
Sebastian Lederer

lederer@bonn-online.com