Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 15:01:15 -0500
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Partioning, Disks and wd0s5,s6 and s7...

Why cant I mount /dev/wd0s7 to /dos/f.  I can mount wd0s6 and wd0s5 to d
and e
respectively.  My fstab below works fine.  I dont understand what
"Device not configured" could encompass.  Obviously something is not
working right.
I have an entire Gig on the f wd0s7 partition and would like to make it
available
to FreeBSD.  Notice partition 2 is 3 Gigs in size.  It actually is
broken up into (3) 1 Gig partitions. Whats up here...?  I should have a
wd0s5,s6 and s7.  Thanks for any advice?  Maybe geometry somehow?

mark@slugo:/etc:>mount_msdos /dev/wd0s7 /dos/f
mount_msdos: /dev/wd0s7: Device not configured

mark@slugo:/etc:>cat fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/wd1s1b             none            swap    sw              0
0
/dev/wd1s1a             /               ufs     rw              1
1
/dev/wd1s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/wd1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2
2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0
0
/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0
0
/dev/wd0s1              /dos/c          msdos   rw              0
0
/dev/wd0s5              /dos/d          msdos   rw              0
0
/dev/wd0s6              /dos/e          msdos   rw              0
0

mark@slugo:/dev:>ls -la wd0s*
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00020002 Oct 21  1997 wd0s1
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00030002 Oct 21  1997 wd0s2
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00040002 Aug 18 13:47 wd0s3
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00050002 Aug 18 13:47 wd0s4
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00060002 Aug 18 18:50 wd0s5
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00070002 Aug 18 18:50 wd0s6
brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00080002 Aug 18 18:51 wd0s7

mark@slugo:/home/mark:>fdisk
******* Working on device /dev/rwd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=556 heads=240 sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=556 heads=240 sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 11,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 1950417 (952 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 128/ sector 63/ head 239
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 5,(Extended DOS)
    start 1950480, size 6441120 (3145 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 129/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 554/ sector 63/ head 239
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>