Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:44:56 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chris@bb.cc.wa.us (Chris Coleman)
Subject:   Re: Small Disk Xterminal

As Chris Coleman wrote:

> I assume I will use NFS to set up the Xwindows applications that I want to
> run.

You probably want only a root/var filesystem and swap on the clients.
Mount /usr read/only from the server.  Watch out to fixup some of the
default app-defaults and config files (like that of xdm) to use /var
to write temporary data (session log, Xauth cookies etc.).  The
default setup unfortunately tries to write them to /usr/X11R6.

> I want the users at the X terminals to be logging in to the FreeBSD
> machine becuase I don't want to have several accounts for my users.  Will
> this require NIS? Or can the XDM some how handle this?

You want them to authenticate at the server only?  XDMCP is your
friend.  Simply start an Xserver as ``X -query <servername>''.  Of
course, the server needs to run an xdm.  If you don't have a local
display on the server, comment out the local entry in
/usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers (so it will only listen on the network).
You want to have a loop around the server start, or start the Xserver
from within /etc/ttys, so it comes up again after somebody hit
Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc.

--
cheers, J"org