Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:13:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

As James Robertson wrote:

> > With Telstra Internet, access at 28k8 is a flat $A500/month. ISDN is a
> > _minimum_ of $A2k/month for _one_ _unused_ 64k channel. Use it, and that
> > can reach $A9k/month .. I know, I have one :-(
> Ouch. ISDN at T-1 prices for here. I had no idea the prices varied by that
> much.

If you really wanna know about high prices, come to Europe.

``Flat fee'' is something totally unknown here, and since you have to
pay for each ISDN data channel like for any normal phone call, it's no
wonder that channel bonding is not of too much interest, at least for
private users.  (The fees in Germany have been drastically increased
by this year, with a very complicated scheme.  Basically, a regular
local area call is now around DM 5 / hour.)

OTOH, the German Telekom has been massively pushing the ISDN technique
recently.  After looking a bit more into the odds and ends of tele-
communications technology, it's quite clear to me why.  While more and
more people tend to have two phone lines (one for voice, one for fax
and/or modem), this would cost them two wire-pairs with the standard
technology.  With ISDN, their costs are halved since they only need
one wire-pair to provide more than adequate functionality.  The ratio
improves for corporate users that require dozens of lines in parallel,
by using a PRI channel, they replace 30 wire-pairs by just two of
them.  And local area wiring is expensive.

--
cheers, J"org