Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 08:57:49 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Gurudatt Shenoy <gurudatt@cs.tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compilation Speedup?

Gurudatt Shenoy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I make a change to one kernel file - uipc_socket.c and do a "make",
> (or make depend followed by make),  all the files in the kernel seem to be
> recompiled again. It takes about one hour on my 486 DX to build the new
> kernel.
>
> Is there an established way to speed up things so that only the one file
> will be recompiled and the rest just linked into the new kernel? It would
> save me a lot of time!

I'm guessing that you are using FreeBSD < 3.0?  Try man config and
look for the option to NOT remove the previous (existing) compilation
directory - this will speed things up significantly.  This behaviour
has been made the default since 3.0 (or thereabouts).

HTH

--
Regards                        |  _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    | /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 98, NT, Linux or better' so I
installed FreeBSD."