Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:08:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Paul Lathrop <plathrop@mqtweb.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: suid shell script

Paul Lathrop wrote to Jonathan Chen:

> Thanks for your response. Now my question is - how does one automate
> tasks requiring root privileges?

From /usr/ports/security/sudo/pkg-descr:

  Sudo is a program designed to allow a sysadmin to give limited root
  privileges to users and log root activity.  The basic philosophy is
  to give as few privileges as possible but still allow people to get
  their work done.

Sudo allows you to "micro-manage" as much as you like, so you can
assign specific privileges to specific users, without the need to hand
out root passwords. I can't imagine life without it. It's also easy to
set up.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon