Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 09:45:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        mrm@Mole.ORG (M.R.Murphy)
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-960627-SNAP: YP problem

Mike -
You wrote:
> > > Make the last line of the master password file
> > > +:::::0:0:::
> > > with vipw. This works for me.
> > > A typical entry in /var/yp/etc/passwd is
> > > mrm::101:200:M.R.Murphy:/home/mrm:/bin/sh
> > > The corresponding entry in /var/yp/etc/master.passwd is
> > > mrm::101:200::0:0:M.R.Murphy:/home/mrm:/bin/sh
> > >
> > Unfortunately, this did nothing... The passwd(5) man page states:
> >      The simplest way to activate NIS is to add an empty record with only a
> >      plus sign (`+') in the name field, such as this:
> >
> >            +:::::::::
> >
> >      The `+' will tell the getpwent(3) routines in FreeBSD's standard C li-
> >      brary to begin using the NIS passwd maps for lookups.
> >
> > This does not work. Only those users hardcoded into the local password
> > file can login. I'm bound to the master YP server, and I can ypmatch my
> > passwd.byname record all day... but can't login. HELP!
>
> Did you do exactly as I wrote, (ueernames changed as required, of course).

Yup...

> Then do a make in /var/yp. Exactly means
>
>  +:::::0:0:::
> not
>  +:::::::::
>
> As I said, mine works.

I believe you... but my 2.1.5 SNAP doesn't work, and 2.1R did.
I may have done something wrong, but I can't figure what. Bill Paul
has spent a lot of time putting together a test program for me. I'm
going to follow his lead and build the test program. I'm going to
stick to this as work time allows.

To answer your follow up mail: Yes, I have DES security installed.
As I said, if I copy my passwd entry directly from the Sun master
NIS map into the local FBSD vipw session, and tweak it to have the
correct fields, everything works, so I don't suspect the DES password
encryption (yet).

I'll be back... ;v)
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA