Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:12:33 +1100
From:      Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reduced java/tomcat performance 6-beta3 -> 6-stable ?
References:  <93F6B911-8C64-4F5C-81F9-80EC271ED298@anduin.net>	<84dead720511280545v2bc0bc35jd107da06b9a788cb@mail.gmail.com>	<20187843-76FC-4EAB-AFF8-7493FB0C0077@anduin.net>	<84dead720511280654j138635abgcb9cc0978e6c26b7@mail.gmail.com>	<02757598-222D-408E-8B33-C2EE1E6E426E@anduin.net>	<20051128211440.GB28963@xor.obsecurity.org>	<3A601A32-94D1-49F6-AB06-ED54D50D4B6A@anduin.net> <9720F96D-A0F7-4639-8852-63A0F2C1FCDE@anduin.net>

Some apps that use of frequent queries of the system time for example
MySQL are well known in FreeBSD to be slower then Linux because its
more expensive to call compared to Linux, maybe Tomcat is also another
such app this can also be double the case depending on on your jsp and
servlet code.
If you are on good hardware, are using 6 and keep your systems time
updated via ntp you might want to try changing from
kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast to TSC(-100) and doing a benchmark
this has already proven to increase performance of MySQL by a
significantly amount.
Also some new experimental low-precision time code has been added to
current source tree to see how much performance increases can be gained,
weirdly enough some people have argued against it for I guess a wide
range of reasons such as they just have crap hardware and don't care
about performance, don't like the extra maintenance of code or just like
Red Hat fanatics having an easy way to bad mouth FreeBSD performance. I
think most people would agree though that it has to be done, or have to
choose to believe FreeBSD isn't about performance among other goals.

With 6 you can also use the new thr threading library, try your
libmap.conf to libthr for testing, for example
[/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/]
libpthread.so.2         libthr.so.2
libpthread.so           libthr.so

I been doing some 'ab' testing libthr with Apache2 compiled for worker
MPM and have some really interesting differences on server load, loads
of about 40 for pthread and around 5 thr under certain tests with ab
with the exact same test.

Mike