Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 19:42:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X25

Dennis écrit / writes:

> >	If  only  France  could  move away  from   X25...  *sigh*  With the
> >	admistrative, government and transpac needs, it'll be around for at
> >	least another half-decade...
> >

> France had a usable network long before most other places...you can blast X.25
> now, but you never saw the kind of packet loss you do on overloaded routers
> today, just slow downs (which is what should happen).

	It's just  that I  saw  what happened  in  France when  the Minitel
	(public low-end, freely available, Videotex 1200bps/75bps asymetric
	terminals)  showed  up.  We  were in   advance  of everybody for  5
	years.  But when  IP showed up,  the government and industry  lobby
	shot it  down consistently, babbling  something about "unreliable".
	Fine -- X25 was reliable.  Now we're 5 years late :-)

The problem with most
> existing X.25 networks is that they're using old, archaic equipment with slow
> processors and not enough memory. Of course the other issue is that X.25
> seemed to be a bit too complicated to implement for most......as theres a
> LOT of really terrible code out there......

	You bet.  Also, the    equipment  was *way* overpriced   (i.e.:  to
	discourage personal experimentation) as  was documentation.   Apart
	from that I agree -- X25  is kind of  like Token Ring: it does have
	SOME uses <grin>.

								-- Phil

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kårve or nøt to kårve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-