Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 19:23:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nexgen 110PF, Cyrix 6x86 questions?

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Brian Litzinger wrote:

> Do processors such as the NexGen PF110 and Cyrix 6x86 actually
> execute Pentium specific instructions or are they all hyper fast
> 386s?
>
> Is anyone using any of these processors?
>
> --
> Brian Litzinger					       Powered by FreeBSD
> <brian@mediacity.com>                            http[s]://www.mpress.com

I think they are all x86 core compatible.  The RISC86 core in the NexGen
is pretty good.  I think the Cyrix 6x86 use something similar...

If I was a software developer (with precompiled programs), I would
probably want my code to run on as many machines as possible.  Thus, I
would avoid fancy tweaked code specific to any one processor or even one
motherboard.  Targetting a software product for the whole market would be
more financially beneficial than going for a small selected number of users.

Well, of course if you're a Unix person that's a bit different because you
can always recompile the software with all the fancy tweaks -- provided
you have the source code handy.

                /  Howard Lew                            \
               <   Email: hlew@genome.stanford.edu        >
                \  http://www.shoppersnet.com            /