Date:      01 Jun 1999 01:45:52 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        "Jean-Pierre H. Dumas" <jphdumas@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 or 3.1/3.2 for a safe/reliable server ?

"Jean-Pierre H. Dumas" <jphdumas@yahoo.fr> writes on freebsd-questions:

> But now I am facing the worst, use the "rock solid" 2.2.8, (I have
> the Walnut Creek CDROM), or begin straight with 3.1 (I have a
> snapshot in the "FreeBSD Toolkit CDRM set : CD_VERSION =
> 3.1-19990327-STABLE) And I have 3.2 in back order.

At work I have 2.2.7-STABLE running on the Internet gateway box that
does routing, NAT, firewall, SMTP forwarder, SSH, FTP, WWW, and DNS.
It is stable enough to stay up between power outages. (A little over
100 days was the most since I installed the machine.) 2.2.8 should be
at least that stable. (I haven't upgraded to 2.2.8 because the system
simply *works*.)

On the other hand I use 3.2-STABLE at home, with similiar functions
(although dialup), and it looks very good. There seem to be few
problems with 3.2, judging from the discussion in the mailing lists.
(I read -stable, -chat, -net, -security, and -questions.) I would not
hesitate to use it on a production machine.

There were, though, some glitches in 3.1, if I remember correctly.

--
Juergen Nickelsen