Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:09:12 +0000
From:      Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: In-Kernel HTTP Server (name preference)

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 12:31:53AM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
> >
> > I can suggest using a netgraph module for the work as it can be connected
> > to a netgraph ksocket node to receive the requests (jdp made all the
> > changes needed to allow this to be done).
>
> Another way would be to implement it as an accept filter which knows how
> to handle simple requests but drops anything more complicated down to
> a userland web server -- an unmodified Apache would be able to do the
> latter, since it already supports accept filters. Some way of configuring
> it is still needed, though...

This may well be the right approach.  But rather than handling "simple"
requests, it should handle cacheable requests.  But only if they're in
it's cache - otherwise it passes them through to the userland web server,
and cache the results.

This is the approach that Sun took (except they used a STREAMS
module, rather than an accept filter).

--
Mike Bristow, embonpointful, but not managerial, damnit.