Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:08:12 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Wilson MacGyver <macgyver@cylatech.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new Linux for ISP...

Wilson MacGyver stands accused of writing in message ID
<199510180236.WAA00198@donna.cylatech.com>:
>I just saw a book on using Linux for ISP yesterday... I wonder if this
>will start making people using Linux for ISP...

They already are...

I met someone in Aberdeen (Scotland) who dialed into a local ISP as I
watched. Then the Linux banner came up I nearly choked. When they
commented they had a lot of reliability problems with their ISP,
however, I had to smile :-)

I felt like trying to find the ISP's NOC and wandering in with a
FreeBSD CDROM to show them how to do it right. No offense to Linux,
but either it was poorly setup or it couldn't handle what it was being
asked to do. The login negotiation sequence fell over at least once
whilst I was there.

Gary