Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:39:04 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        John Vinters <johnv@jbg.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:35:48PM +0000, John Vinters wrote:

> I've (reasonably) recently installed 4.3-Release on a system running
> Samba and a few light telnet apps, and noticed similar performance
> problems.
>
> The SMB sessions would randomly change speed, and telnet sessions would
> suffer from occasional  "hesitation" (this is on a Dual PIII-700 MHz
> machine with 1 Gb of RAM, which is currently very lightly loaded).
>
> I managed to track the problem down to the duplex settings on both the
> Ethernet cards (AT-2500 TX, Realtek 8139 based, AFAIK) and the 10/100
> Switch.  Forcing both the cards and the switch to particular settings
> cured the problem, and lead to a massive performance increase.
>
> FTP seems to be particularly badly affected by the constant collisions
> (causing backoff).  The problem can be tricky to find as the switch
> wasn't perceptably showing collisions on the collision LED, but viewing
> the switch stats showed a different story!
>
> I've noticed similar problems with Linux and certain cards (it was a
> while ago).
>

> John Vinters
> <johnv@jbg.co.uk>

Well, I am seeing dismal ftp performance on my 4.x boxes.  I have a
network of 4 machines, three of which are running -STABLE from Nov
22.  The other machine is running NetBSD 1.5.2 Release.  One of the
FreeBSD machines has a  base 10 cards in it and has reasonable
performace with ftp transfer rates around 1.1Megs/sec.  The NetBSD
machine is a sparcstation 10 with an onboard intel base 10 adapter,
and it too sees reasonable ftp performance.  The other two -STABLE
boxes have 100tx cards in them.  One is a Linksys LNE100TX, and the
other is an intel Pro 10/100B/100+.  The hub for this network is an 8
port SOHOware autosensing affair.  Both of the 100 cards
auto-negotiate to 100tx half-duplex.  I can get appoximately
1.5Megs/sec out of them using ftp.  I have tried swapping cables,
swapping ports, and replacing the hub with a crossover cable and
manually configuring the cards for either full or half duplex
operation.  None of these steps makes any difference at all.  I can
reliably duplicate my transfer speeds on a 600 meg file with a std.
deviation of less than a half a second no matter what network
configuration I use.  My next step will be to try some different NICs,
but I don't have anything here that is 100tx based to swap with.  I
have gotten proper transfer rates out of these machines in the past,
but I don't remember if the network cards have changed since then.  I
rarely move large files around at all, and so only looked into this as
a curiosity when seeing this thread.  I also intend to try some NFS
mounts out to see if this is a protocol issue or not.

Josh