Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE will be tagged and done tonite, starting at 18:00 PDTT

In article <10693.964597308@localhost>, Jordan K. Hubbard
<jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com> wrote:

> > However, is there any reason we can't fold the crypto distribution
> > into bin now?  Not the des or krb bits, but the 'crypto' one.
>
> Boy, I'd sure be a happy man if that were the case.  It would make
> installing FreeBSD a lot more straight-forward and secure out of the
> box.  The same could be done for the crypto sources too and we'd
> eliminate a whole sub-dialog from sysinstall.

I would lean more toward keeping the crypto code in separate
distributions for a while longer.  When we folded the cvs-crypto CVSup
collection into cvs-all, I got an e-mail from one person who was quite
upset because he assumed it meant that crypto wouldn't be in separate
binary distributions any more.  At least to him, it was important to
keep the ability to be completely crypto-free.

I don't feel so strongly about it myself, but I can see his point.
For one thing, US crypto policy has been dictated 100% by politics
for at least the past 10 years.  It could easily be reversed yet
again.  (I don't think it will be reversed, but it is certainly a real
possibility.)  I would hate to see us throw out all the machinery we
use to keep the crypto code separable, only to have to rebuild it
again some time in the future.

John