Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:53:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Patrick Thomas <user@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dell PERC 2/QC only supples four containers to FreeBSD - MORE

Ok, I installed my system with just the four drives available, and then
booted it for the first time.  Everything is fine.

So now I go to /dev and:

sh MAKEDEV aacd4
sh MAKEDEV aacd5

and it makes the devices just fine - as in _all_ of them - aacd4,
aacd4[a-h], and aacd4s1[a-h]

So that is perfect.  Then I start /stand/sysinstall and fdisk can now see
the additional two drives, I fdisk them, and then I label them and then I
quit /stand/sysinstall.

Then I edit /etc/fstab and put in entries:

/dev/aacd4s1e	/mnt4	ufs	rw	2	2

and then I reboot.  Here is the part that makes NO sense whatsoever.  When
I reboot, for each of the two drives, I get:

Can't open /dev/aacd4s1e: Invalid argument
/dev/aacd4s1e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
/dev/aacd4s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
Can't open /dev/aacd4s1e: Device not configured

---

this confuses me because, of course, the device _is_ configured.  Is this
because I exited /stand/sysinstall without committing and didn't do the
newfs operation ? or things like that ?

If so, I can solve this two ways, but I need help as I don't know how to
do these things:

1. somehow exit /stand/sysinstall in a way that does the newfs and things
without actually installing anything...

2. do the newfs (or whatever I need to do) on the command line .. what
commands do I need to run ?

The good news is, I can use all six disks with the PERC raid controller...

--PT