Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:28:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      jerry@syslog.org
To:        "Erich Dollansky" <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, KAYVEN RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft buys Yahoo

Erich said:
> I also wonder how Google earns so much monez with its search engine. Is
> it just the adds? Is it reallz this simple?
>
> On the other side, Google must be so much better than other search
> engines to get so much more hits to earn money with this free service
> via the adds.
>
> The problem I see is how the search results are influenced bz the search
> engine in use.
>
> Erich

Google earns nearly all of it's money from advertisements.  Google has the
defacto standard advertising platform on the Internet.  Most people do not
understand how large the Internet economy based on AD revenue really is.
Read a bit through http://forums.digitalpoint.com - it's enlightening and
frightening.

Now, Google absolutely dominates the search market, with more than half of
all searches.  I think part of the reason is the simplicity and strength
that they entered the market and the current venacular - when you search
for something or someone, you Google it or Google him.  You don't Yahoo
it.  The other part is the algorithm.  They have historically had the most
relevant results for a term.  I would say that in many ways, both MS and
Yahoo! give better results that google for most of the searches that I
try.  I believe the major reason for that is that *everyone* and his
grandmother is trying to game Google to get their splog to the top of the
google rankings.

Regards,

Jerry
http://www.syslog.org