Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:34:53 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mouse problems...

Patrick Gardella wrote:

> OK, I'm stumped...completely.
>
> I'm trying to get a mouse to work on my Shuttle HOT-539 motherboards
> (I have four of them.)
>
> It's really bizarre.  FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE detects sio0 and sio1 as
> 16550A ports.  I've tried both Asus and Intel cables on the sioX ports,
> and two different mice (Microsoft and Logitech protocols).  The mice
> work fine on other 3.1 systems I have.
>
> None of these worked.  So I borrowed I/O cards from a friend, and tried
> seven of them ranging from 8250, 16450, 16550 and 16550A cards.  They
> all were detected correctly, but the mice did not work.
>
> I tried XF86Setup, and moused.
>
> Any suggestions?  As I said, I'm stumped.  Normally, I've gotten
> FreeBSD to use a mouse very easily.  This is the first system that has
> had problems (and it's my personal one, of course!)

I just finished going through a similar problem but it was one getting
the 3rd button recognized. I have four mice that I tried to use. Two
of them were HP mice by Logitech. They were PS/2 mice. I had a mouse
with a PS/2 to db9 converter. These mice mostly had switches that were
activated at power up time. None of them worked in one mode or
another. I finally ended up purchasing the Logitech First Mouse that
is PS/2 and comes with an adapter to db9. It works as advertised. If I
try to switch the PS/2 to db9 adapter between the mice, they don't
work. The First Mouse is around $20.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html