Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:17:27 +0900
From:      Tetsuro FURUYA <ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp>
To:        thelab@nmarcom.com
Cc:        Tetsuro FURUYA <tfu@ff.iij4u.or.jp>
Subject:   Re: wd0 interrupt

Hi, I'm T.Furuya.

In Message-ID: <Pine.BSF.3.96.980818101638.8078B-100000@feoh.nmarcom.com>
The Lab <thelab@nmarcom.com> wrote:

> From /var/log/messages:
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST3660A>
> wd0: 520MB (1065456 sectors), 1057 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3A>
> wd1: 4110MB (8418816 sectors), 14848 cyls, 9 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
> npx0: 387 emulator
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
>
> Can anyone tell me what the last two lines mean, exactly, and what i can
> do to prevent it if it's a really bad thing?

Your system does not seem to hangup.
So, this is rather good. But this makes problem difficult to solve.
When the sector on wd0 is broken, the last two error messages will
appear in /var/log/messages.
So, If you can check the secter is really broken or not,
it will help solve this problem, for example, check the disk
by windows scandisk or norton utilities, or write to all of vacant
disk area and read all file.
They say that the recent eide disks are implemented the automatic remapping
function, in this case, so even if the sectors are actually broken,
they are substituted, no bad secters may be found.

If you cannot access that disk after the error message,
probably, wd driver does no work well.
So, check /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/wd.c,
and find out the lines such as

du->dk_timeout = 1 + 3;

and increase the value.

There are several views that the failure of disk is cause by
the heat or the unstable power supply.

Tetsuro Furuya <ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp>

TEL: 048-852-3520    FAX: 048-858-1597			    ||
     ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp , tfu@ff.iij4u.or.jp     	*   ||
pgp-fingerprint:				       \|/
     pub  Tetsuro FURUYA <ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp>
      Key fingerprint = F1 BA 5F C1 C2 48 1D C7  AE 5F 16 ED 12 17 75 38