Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:55:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: Making XFree86-4 the default

On 26 Oct 2000, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> Are there any other outstanding issues re throwing the big switch and
> making XFree86-4 the default now?  (As it says in the subject
> line...you guys thought I replied to an old mail by mistake? :)

There was a recent modification in Xt that prevents some Xaw and Motif
programs from running correctly. This may be a problem.

> In case someone missed the previous discussion, "the XFree86-4 server
> doesn't support my card" is not a valid reason.  We already have a
> whole bunch of xtt-* servers, which are based on 3.3.6 and should work
> just fine on such machines.

Provided that the servers can run without problems, I agree with you. I'm
currently using the XFree86-4 "userland" :-) with a XFree86-3 server at
home because my S3 Trio64V+ card is not supported yet. One advantage is
that I can use the new Lucidux fonts, that look great.

> The question is whether we want to have people who have cards that are
> supported by both 3.3.6 and 4.0 use the new server, and also have
> people use the 4.0 libraries etc. instead of 3.3.6 counterparts.

Server configuration may be a problem, since the it changed very much
from XFree86-3 to XFree86-4. One possible solution would be to install
both versions of XF86Setup and xf{86,98}config and let the user choose
between them.

> I've been compiling the mid-week (non-ftp) packages with 4.0 for a
> while, and other than the HTML manpage stuff (which should not be hard
> to fix), most ports seem to compile just fine.
>
> Satoshi

The HTML manpage stuff works more-or-less well for me, but the cut-down
version of rman used in XFree86 has problems with some pages (eg. it does
not recognizes mdoc).

I had big problems with the Motif manual pages, possibly because they were
generated from SGML source. I submited a patch to OpenMotif (available in
MotifZone) that fixes the manpage installation.

--
Carlos A. M. dos Santos

Federal University of Pelotas         Meteorological Research Center
Av. Ildefonso Simoes Lopes 2791       Pelotas, RS, Brasil, CEP 96060-290
WWW: http://www.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br   RENPAC (X.25): 153231641
Phone: +55 53 277-6767                FAX: +55 53 277-6722