Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:08:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      <david@sparks.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Time syncing

Has anyone used a system on FreeBSD, any version, which could sync the
system clock from an external source other than via xntpd/timed?

I need to sync to the clock at a cable headend for insertion of digital
video programming.  For non-relevent reasons I can't just drop a time card
with drivers into the NT box doing the actual playback.  I *can* get a
version of ntp for NT, but would rather have a nice bsd box doing time
syncs than pay MS more $$ for another NT license.

The specific hardware involved is from W Clark & Associates. My choices
are an ISA card (TCR 500) and an RS-232 (TCI 232) box from which you can
read the time/date.  Once I got the time into a FreeBSD box I could xntpd
serve off it.  More info available at http://www.masterclock.com.

Thanks in advance for any pointers:)

--- David Miller