Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:08:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        franky@pinewood.nl (Frank ten Wolde)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960323 Panic in mount_msdos

> > Not bounds-checking dereferences isn't an error; it an optimization,
> > and it's allowable because mount is not a user accessable command
> > (you have to be root).
>
> I slightly disagree. Even as root I could make a typo and by mistake
> specifiy the wrong partition/slice to mount, causing the entire system
> to die.
>
> It would have been nice if some sanity checking would have been performed,
> so that the kernel simply would abort the mount(2) system call with an
> appropriate error (wrong FS type, or something similar).

For instance, if you accidently type "/dev/kmem" instead of a disk
device?

Typo's are unlikely, since the "cannonically correct" way to do
transient mounts that you expect to make is to put them as not
mounted by default entries in the /etc/fstab.

Then you mount them by device name, and typos get an error because
they would need two device names.

> I simply pointed out the panic.  Maybe the code maintainer of the DOSFS
> can use this info to make the system even more stable.

Appreciated; but from what I understand, it is a *total* rewrite, so
unless you get the developement code before it is released, any bug
reports on the old system are bit-bucket fodder.

I was explicit (possibly to the point of looking annoyed when I'm not)
in the posting because of this.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---