Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:42:36 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for test: /etc/shells -> /usr/local/etc/shells

> 	Perhaps /etc/shells is the least of all evils here.

I think there's way too much paranoia about software systems putting
stuff into /etc.  It intended to contain host-specific configuration data
I think there's value in having this configuration data in one or very
few places so you're not chasing stuff all over the file system.

I think that /etc/X11 which came along with the XFree86 4 port is a
step in the right direction, too.  Frankly, I'd rather have an /etc/local
than /usr/local/etc for that sort configuration data so that it's in
one place, and backed up along with the rest of the hosts's configuration.

louie