Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:35:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constructive criticism (was: bashing everyone for fun and profit)

Alright,  I have had enough.  I work at Big Bend Community College.
I have talked them into using FreeBSD as our campus Standard for Internet
Resources.  Mainly because of its reliability and availability.  They also
were very pleased with the tight-nit core team that puts out a reliable
release every six months.

Now it time for me to lend a hand.  Im not that great a programmer, but
I teach, and i like to write.  So I am  embarking on a project.
I am taking this chatter about lack of documentation very seriously.
Im Going to Write a Book.
I am in the middle of setting up two FreeBSD machines and am documenting
the things that i do as i go.  I want to write a basic book that is from a
user point of view.  I spent six months struggling through the download
and setup of my first FreeBSD box.  I knew nothing about computers three
years ago.  I want to add to the project.  This is a User Run Project.  So
I the User am going to do Somthing about it.

Therefore, If you  don't like the documentation, Write something.  Even if
it is just a well documented complaint.  I will be accepting
contributions, and criticizm and whatever helpful things you have to
offer.  So stop complaining about What doesn't work and What isnt
documented, And do something.

If anyone else is working on a title, or has anything partially started I
would like to hear form them, so we can get organized and not duplicate
each other work.

I have put together a home page, and all my work will be open for review
as I get it put together.

Many thanks for all the Advice that you have given me.
This list has been a livesaver many times.

Chris Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project: http://www.bb.cc.wa.us/~chris/book.html
Death is life's way of telling you you're fired.