Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <dpk@nwserv.com>
To:        erik witkop <ewitkop90@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I hosed myself as always

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, erik witkop wrote:

> I think it is fixable though. I edited my rc.conf file and now on reboot
> I get this.
>
> /etc/rc.conf:22 :syntax error:unterminated quote.
> enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>
> I pressed return but I cannot do any commands to fix it from that prompt.

You have several options at this point I believe. Some of them include:

a) Editing rc.conf with /bin/ed - it's a line editor, rather terse, but
it's very useful for this sort of thing. Every sysadmin should know how to
use it, just in case...
b) You can also manually mount your partitions (mount -a is the fastest
way). Then you can use your default editor. This option is not always
available (and sometimes the boot process fails because autoboot can't
mount /usr), so a) is still a good one to learn.

> Where is my shell by default. Anyy ideas what the correct path is?

Maybe I spoke too soon above. Will /bin/sh run? If it gives you some sort
of execution error, did you install a new kernel? If so, boot with the old
kernel and make sure to update /bin/sh from /usr/src. If you didn't
install a new kernel, I don't know what to suggest off the top of my
head.

--
David Kirchner, dpk@nwserv.com