Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:38:02 -0500
From:      Suleiman Souhlal <refugee@segfaulted.com>
To:        From@FreeBSD.ORG:Barry Hawkins <ly5t5@allthingscomputed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions regarding installation

Hello Barry,

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:03:38 -0500
Barry Hawkins <ly5t5@allthingscomputed.com> wrote:

> List,
> 	I have decided to try and work through the CD installation
> instructions from the site[0].  I have a couple of questions.
> 1.) What is the "distribution" referred to in Item 1 of the
> instructions?

  I think Peter means
http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc-root-120204.tbz2

This contains all the files you need for a minimal 'install'.
Also, it seems there is no more kernel at the URL given, but the file
above should contain the latest kernel 'released' (which, I believe,
does not contain a working driver for the kauai ata controller). If you
have one of the newer powerbooks, you can get a kernel that should
recognize your hard drives at:
http://www.segfaulted.com/stuff/freebsd-ppc/kernel

> 2.) Where do I get the files that are contained in the minimal
> filesystem outlined in Item 2b of the instructions?

  The files are in:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc-root-120204.tbz2

> 3.) What is the recommended method for breaking before the loader
> boots the kernel in Item 2b of the instructions?

  As soon as you turn on the computer, you have to press and hold
option-command-o-f. Once you're in OpenFirmware, just follow the
instructions from the site.

Later,
  Suleiman Souhlal