Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:09:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@sea-incorporated.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Matt Simerson <freebsd@blockads.com>, Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Subject:   Re: bug in pw, -STABLE [patch]

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I'm reasonably sure I don't really like blocking indefinately.  There's
> also the potential for a kill'd program to lock you out of changes until
> you manually delete the lockfile, which would be shared with all such
> locking.  Offhand, I'm going to say maybe we should retry a given number
> of times (say 10) at a given interval (say 1 second) before failing.  It
> may also be a not entirely bad idea to try and cruft in some code to read
> the file and try to track down the process holding it to make sure it's
> still alive.  Durn it, this nice simple code is starting to get
> complicated.

I didn't want to go there, but as long as you brought it up...  :)

I've heard talk of a central interface to handle pid files.  Maybe this is
a good opportunity to lay some groundwork.  The code that you're talking
about writing is common to so many applications that it may just be time
to do it once and do it right.  I could probably even help.

Geoff