Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:49:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -lc_r against shared library (Re: Failed to build kdesupport2 port)

[ CC list trimmed ]

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> You have totally misunderstood the purpose of my patch. The patch *isn't* intended as a quick fix for the recent -lc_r/-pthread weirdness, but instead it would provide
> porting team with infrastructure necessary to start converting existing ports to the new world order. In a nutshell, -pthread should be replaced with ${PTHREAD_LIBS} and
> -D_THREAD_SAFE with ${PTHREAD_CFLAGS} in all Makefiles from the ports collection. In addition all places where -pthread hardcoded in patches should also be identified and
> adjusted to respect ${PTHREAD_LIBS} and ${PTHREAD_CFLAGS}.

I support the addition of PTHREAD_CFLAGS/PTHREAD_LIBS to bsd.port.mk.  It
allows one to specify exactly which threads library they want to use
(build against), even linuxthreads I would think.

If it matters, I think we've decided to keep the -pthread linker
option until FreeBSD gets its own libpthread at which point -pthread
will be deprecated.  So there's no urgent rush to convert ports
to use the new mechanism if it's adopted.

--
Dan Eischen