Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:19:27 -0700
From:      perikillo <perikillo@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Issues with FlowCleaner on a spam server.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl> wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 09:40 AM, perikillo wrote:
>> Hi my friends I have a big issue that I still cannot track what is
>> causing that my server stop working.
>>
> may be this bug?
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/146792
> a "fix" is also in the report
>> I have a spam gateway running:
>>
>> spamassassin
>> clamavis
>> amavis
>> apache+mailgraph
>> postfix
>> bacula client
>> apcupsd client
>>
>> My server is running freebsd 8.0-p2 AMD64. Raid-1.
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1992-2009 The FreeBSD Project.
>> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The Regents of the University of California. All rights =
reserved.
>> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
>> FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #5: Mon May 10 23:23:20 PDT 2010
>> =A0 =A0 root@filter.oakwest.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SPAMKER
>> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
>> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 E3110 =A0@ 3.00GHz (2999.6=
8-MHz K8-class CPU)
>> =A0 Origin =3D "GenuineIntel" =A0Id =3D 0x1067a =A0Stepping =3D 10
>> =A0 Features=3D0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MT=
RR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>> =A0 Features2=3D0x408e3fd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,C=
X16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,XSAVE>
>> =A0 AMD Features=3D0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
>> =A0 AMD Features2=3D0x1<LAHF>
>> =A0 TSC: P-state invariant
>> real memory =A0=3D 4294967296 (4096 MB)
>> avail memory =3D 4119261184 (3928 MB)
>> ACPI APIC Table: <090208 APIC1432>
>> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
>> FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
>> =A0cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID: =A00
>> =A0cpu1 (AP): APIC ID: =A01
>>
>> For some reason that I still don't know, amavisd stop working, the
>> port no longer answer any inbound, postfix, spamd, clamd works,
>> amavisd is the issue normally.
>>
>> My server can work for a month, each weekend I update the ports and
>> upgrade my packages, spamd rules every month are updated.
>>
>> No issue here, suddenly after a month or 4-5 weeks the server stop
>> working, amavisd stop doing the job, I can access the server via ssh
>> and see the issue.
>>
>> This is the 4th time that happens.
>>
>> My IDLE goes to 50%, when I start debugging I see a process called
>> "FlowCleaner" eating 1 CPU.
>>
>> Always got the PID 20, looks like a internal process, I have been
>> searching info about this process but not to much info.
>>
>> I cannot kill this process, I can restart clamd, spamd, apache,
>> bacula, but amavisd is stuck.
>>
>> If I send a shutdown -r now won't work, my server just hang-up, if I
>> press the power button won't work to.
>>
>> I have to do a cold reboot, I don't have other choice.
>>
>> I have read logs but don't see any issue (maillog, console, all, message=
).

>> One thing to mention, is that every time this happen, my server fan's
>> are working more faster that usual, the first day I detect this I
>> create a batch that send every 5 minutes the core temperature using
>> freebsd coretemp.ko module.
>>
>> Avg. I got 40'c for each core:
>>
>> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.0C
>> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 41.0C
>>
>> I search around on Intel site and this chip max temp. is 70'c, I had
>> never seen this number on my emails, the biggest number had been 54'c
>> and this appear before my server got crazy yesterday:
>>
>> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 53.0C
>> dev.cpu.1.temperature: 49.0C
>>
>> Something is causing this, a spam attack, memory leak mmm I had not
>> seen my server use the whole 4GB ever.
>>
>> My friends, what do u you recommend to me to track this?
>>
>> Any input will be very appreciated, I got 1 month to track this before
>> this happen again, thanks!
>>

> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, di=
sclosure, copying,
> distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If yo=
u have received it
> by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your syste=
m.

rg"

Hey Bas thanks, I will try that, I had read the link u mention and I
have the same behavior, is not a router but I have the option inside
my kernel:

options        FLOWTABLE               # per-cpu routing cache

I had seen that we can disable with sysctl, I will try to disable and
wait for a month and see if my spam server don't have issues like this
anymore.

I will let u know, thanks again Bas.