Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:49:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for test: /etc/shells -> /usr/local/etc/shells

Louis A. Mamakos <louie@TransSys.COM> types:
> I think that /etc/X11 which came along with the XFree86 4 port is a
> step in the right direction, too.  Frankly, I'd rather have an /etc/local
> than /usr/local/etc for that sort configuration data so that it's in
> one place, and backed up along with the rest of the hosts's configuration.

Other things seem to be moving in the direction of putting default
values (that are updated with the system) in /etc/defaults, and local
changes in /etc. That would suggest /etc/defaults/shells for the
shells installed as part of the base system, and /etc/shells for
shells added later, whether from ports or elsewhere.

And I want the shed crimson with cream trim.

	<mike