Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 14:31:28 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X25

>The problem with most
>> existing X.25 networks is that they're using old, archaic equipment with
slow
>> processors and not enough memory. Of course the other issue is that X.25
>> seemed to be a bit too complicated to implement for most......as theres a
>> LOT of really terrible code out there......
>
>	You bet.  Also, the    equipment  was *way* overpriced   (i.e.:  to
>	discourage personal experimentation) as  was documentation.   Apart
>	from that I agree -- X25  is kind of  like Token Ring: it does have
>	SOME uses <grin>.
>
>								-- Phil

The difference is that token ring is basically crap...not as good as the other
alternatives. The mistake that was made with X.25 was that the wrong people
decided that it was too slow, and they created something not nearly as good
or advanced.....frame relay. The answer 5 years ago was to upgrade equipment,
the passive increase in processing power alone was enough to solve the
problems...the premise that dumping packets is better than flow control is
simply wrong....and SVCs are a real nice way to bypass net problems and we
would've  had them in the beginning...and "the net" would look a lot less
like the
terrible ratsnest it is at this point.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX