Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leaks in libc

Garance A Drosihn writes:
>      setenv("NAME","VAL1");    -> does a malloc to store NAME
>      keep = getenv("NAME");    -> returns a pointer to the middle
>                                   of that malloc'ed area
>      setenv("NAME","VAL2");    -> replaces the value of NAME as
>                                   is kept in the environment
>      if ( ! strcmp(keep, "VAL1") ) { do_stuff(); }

Yes, I think we can boil it down to this. If you call this a
perfectly valid program, then we should not fix the memory leak.

If you call this a bug not worth accomodating, then we should
fix the memory leak.

NB: with today's libc, keep will be equal to "VAL2" on the last line!

Isn't there a POSIX spec for getenv()/putenv()... what does it say?

-Archie