Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:38:36 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, stable@freebsd.org, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

Thanks to everyone. I had no idea what an interesting thread I was
spawning with my original question.

Since I now understand just how dangerous running BOTH WC and
SOFTUPDATES can be, I have rebuilt my kernel with WC disabled and, for
a reasonably fast backup, where WC is not a data integrity issue, I
have a special kernel with WC enabled. I'll just live with the
slow-down in things unless smarter folks figure a way to make write
cache work safely. Sometimes speed is not everything.

When I brought up my first FreeBSD system I had a bad memory card
which caused several crashes and hopelessly corrupted my disk. This
was no big thing as I had a virgin install and it was easy to just
re-install after replacing the bad RAM. But I'd find that to be a real
pain today. (And I DO have a good backup today.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)