Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:36:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Carlos Carnero <zopewiz@yahoo.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling with dummynet(4)

Hello,

> dummynet pipes use timers heavily, and i suspect
> that the timer granularity in vmware might not be
> as good as you would want

yes, you're right. I changed some thing though:
increased HZ in the kernel config from 1000 to 1500;
and currently I'm running the virtual machine at a
higher priority. Luckily I have a very fast host with
lots of RAM.

I did the timing (delay) checks and yes, it improved
to a point that "almost" is where I want it to be
(less than 5% dev :)

> Also, 5Kbytes/s is a very low bandwidth, which
> coupled with 50 queue slots (~75Kbytes with large
> packets) will result in very large RTTs which could
> in turn trigger useless retransmissions and
> timeouts.

I'll play more with the slots, but those speeds (~
5KByte/s) are the ones that the real thing will use.
I'm building a router for a friend that has to share a
256KBit/s link among 100 people :o

I know that VMware is not exactly the best thing to
test dummynet, but right now I have no other choice.
It's an experience anyway.

> 	cheers
> 	luigi

Thanks a lot,
Carlos.

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:33:23PM -0700, Carlos
> Carnero wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a "lab" here where I'm testing (and
> learning)
> > traffic shaping with dummynet(4). I have a Windows
> XP
> > host computer and a couple of VMware virtual
> > computers: one running  FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p18,
> with
> > two virtual Ethernet adapters and other running
> NetBSD
> > 1.5.2 with one adapter. My FreeBSD "box" is the
> > router/gateway for the NetBSD box, providing
> > firewalling and NAT. Pretty much a standard setup,
> and
> > it works OK (you should see the double NATting ;)
> >
> > Anyway, I have compiled into the kernel both IP
> Filter
> > and FreeBSD's own ipfw, with the purpose of
> traffic
> > shaping/bandwidth throttling. But the numbers I
> get
> > are not what I expect. For instance, my ipfw rules
> are
> > like:
> >
> > pipe 1000 config bw 5KByte/s queue 50
> > pipe 1001 config bw 5KByte/s queue 50
> >
> > add 50000 pipe 1000 tcp from 192.168.250.3/32 to
> any
> > add 50001 pipe 1001 tcp from any to
> 192.168.250.3/32
> >
> > (192.168.250.3 being the NetBSD "box") But when I
> > transfer a file using FTP from the Windows host I
> get
> > _almost_ 1 KByte. Note that I remove the pipes
> speeds
> > reach ~800-900 KByte/s, almost saturating the
> > "virtual" Ethernet interfaces. Changing the pipe
> > bandwidth to, say 25KByte/s in both pipes yield an
> FTP
> > speed of ~5-6 KByte/s. Is this OK or FTP is that
> > inefficient? What other tests can I run to check
> the
> > bandwidth _not_ using FTP?
> >
> > IP Filter's ruleset is currently set to pass
> > everything as quickly as it can :)
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Carlos.
> >
> > PS. Posting from Yahoo! until I solve some reverse
> DNS
> > bugs I inherited :|

message