Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:31:15 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: avoiding base openssl when building ports [security@freebsd thread]

I see a need for the following scenario *before* switching around libraries:

[ based on failure of 'pkg' to continue working across a major release
without tweaks ]

pkg pre-major-upgrade

* convert local.sqlite to /var/db/pkg legacy format
* build a temporary copy of legacy pkg_install

perform upgrade

make -DWHICH_IS_STILL_WORKING installworld

then, if 'pkg' and its libraries break something, maybe the legacy tools
can fix it up,
pkg2ng made more robust [ I've never had it work fully  on a v9  ] then
pkg2ng >> pkg working again after the upgrade

more less-likely-to-fail, as it were, say for a production system,
buying some time
to reinstall or whatever...   say devel/ncurses breaks a production
system, maybe
pkg_install ncurses would work where "make build" would fail "fail to
register package...
cannot build something depeding upon it without the temporary
pkg_install >> portmaster...

Lots of coding, though...   a ' temportary dual-method package system,
HAST-like...'   almost
exclusively for major version upgrades...

[ Reminded of by one of the posts in the thread... cannot quote it
directly within this
discussion, maybe, may make it less clear, because I am not versed
enough in the
workings of the base and system libraries...  nor "make distribution"
etc... ]